Saturday, July 16, 2005

Friends Restaurant

There is a new restaurant near the intersection of Mills and Nebraska called Friends that opened about 3 weeks ago. It's basically been word of mouth advertising while they work out the kinks. Waiter told me they will be having an official Grand Opening in the near future. It's open from 11 to 10 Tuesday through Sunday (subject to change) and closed Monday.

It is small (about 10 tables) but very nice inside. Formerly one of a thousand vietnamese restuarants in that area, it has made the transition to neighborhood gay friendly spot. Menu contains appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers and a light dinner menu of steak, pasta, chicken, blah, blah, blah. I was a bit surprised by the linen napkins and candles during lunch, but the presentation was quite nice. If they can afford the linen bill, and not go out of business because of it, I'll get used to it, but I'm a pile of paper napkins kinda guy.

Sandwich portion was a bit on the slim side. I had a half order of wings, sandwich with fries, and iced tea and it came to about $13. Service was attentive, but I did notice that every time the waiter brought an order to the surrounding tables, something had to go back to the kitchen for a correction. No big deal, just seemed a bit clumsy. It is their first month, and I understand the owners are local bartenders and are new to food service so they'll get no complaints from me.

I've always thought the place would make a great gay friendly spot so close to Peacock and Club Swank and it appears that I was correct. Plenty of gay and lesbian clientele during my weekend lunch visit. Not sure how often I'll stop in, but when I do, I know I'll get a good meal in a friendly and clean atmosphere.