Saturday, July 16, 2005

Closed For Remodeling

And speaking of restaurants. A friend of mine in the food & beverage business told me that "Closed for Remodeling" was restaurant code for "Out of Business" and it seems in the last couple of months, the downtown Thornton Park district has a lot of places "Closed for Remodeling" and all of them but one was a suprise.

The 50 year old Lee's Lakeside finally bit the dust after the long time owner passed away. My guess is a new owner came in and finally noticed that the place hadn't been cleaned in the 50 years it had been opened. My only experience there was on that I still can't get the smell out of my mind. Why Orlando residents paid so much for so little was always a mystery to me. I was hoping it would be bought by a chain. I'd love to see a Houstons there.

Also owned by the same people, Lake Eola Yacht club posted its remodeling sign last week and closed its door. The much cleaner, better tasting, and trendy cousin of Lee's was expensive but good. And you couldn't beat the casual atmosphere and back deck overlooking the Lake Eola fountain. Let's hope this one will be back soon.

And then we come to Rocco's on Washington Street. I thought this place was a winner even though I don't care to pay $10 for a hamburger. They seemed to be able to attract a crowd the previous owners couldn't with DJ on the weekend, and lot's of people stopping in for drinks. It's never been the same since it's heyday as the Thornton Park Cafe, the original neighborhood friendly and affordable breakfast, lunch, and dinner cafe.

Ah how I wish for a return to the old days. But until then I'm "Closed for Remodeling."